Friday, November 11, 2011

Poppy Patch

After spreading out a load of excavated soil, donated by our neighbour, unexpectedly, a large patch of poppies grew up from it. I was intrigued at their appearance because the soil was virgin mountain soil. I can only imagine that some seeds were either caught up in the load from the surrounding topsoil or else, blew there after the soil had been spread across our lawn.  I had to resist the urge to pull them up. They are so big and ugly before they bloom, looking very much like a weed. These are "Opium" poppies, I think, and not the more dainty type.  Their blooming time is so short after all that growth effort and they seem to have chosen this week to do it. I thought a photo of them would be appropriate for today, being Armistice Day. I can still remember when I was in my very first year of school (sooooo long ago), at the 11th hour, on the 11th day and in the 11th month, standing together with classmates for a minute of silence. I wonder whether this still happens at some schools today?


No comments:

Post a Comment